Johannes George, Sr.

Male 1735 - 1808


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Suffix  Sr. 
    Born  1735 
    Gender  Male 
    Died  1808  Loudoun County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I292  Virts
    Last Modified  13 Jan 2015 

    Family  Elizabeth Keller Everhart,   b. 1742,   d. 1822 
    Children 
     1. Elizabeth George,   b. 1775, Loudoun County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Apr 1806, Lovettsville, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location
     2. John George, Jr.,   b. 9 Feb 1778, Loudoun County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 3 Jul 1860, Loudoun County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location
    Last Modified  7 Oct 2012 
    Family ID  F174  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • The following information has been graciously provided by Jeanie Virts LaGrave.

      Father to Elisabeth George, wife of Jacob Virts, Sr. He originally came from Germany through Pennsylvania to the area of Dutchman Creek before Loudoun formation in 1757. The creek, and the Germans who settled there, were affectionately know as Dutchmen, because when the courthouse clerks asked them where they lived and came from they would answer "Duetche Mann".

      All the land, from the Short Hill Mountains to the Catoctin Mountain, and from the Potomac to south of the Great Road (Rt. 9), was originally a 17,296 acre tract called Piedmont, granted by Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax, to John Colvill in 1739. The next year, Colvill sold the tract to William Fairfax for two shillings ($.25) per acre, and William gave its remainders to son George William in 1754. John George, evidently bought several hundred acres from the Fairfaxes during or shortly after this period.

      Just north of today's Lovettsville, Christopher Fearsner leased 108 acres on Duthman's run and by Paynes Road (which went to his Potomac ferry at today's Brunswick Bridge), from George William Fairfax on April 11, 1773. And on May 13, 1782, Fearsner assigned the lease to John George for 400 British Pounds ($1,000).

      Fairfax's leasing provision specified: Two years after the date of these Presents, plant upon the Demised Premises one Hundred good Apple Trees, and two Hundred Peach Trees at least 30 feet distance from each other, and the same will enclose with a good sufficient and lawful fence, and keep them all well pruned; and that he and they shall and will erect and build a good dwelling house 20 feet by 16 and a Barn 20 feet square, after the manner of Virginia Building.

      On March 14, 1774, Loudoun court records note the beginnings of the first George's Mill, probably a one and one half story frame structure: Upon the petition of John George, setting forth that he is possessed of lands on both sided of Great Dutchman's Run in this County where he is desirous of luilding a Grist Mill, and prays leave for building the same.

      On April 1, 1785, George Nicholas, attorney for George William Fairfax estate, leased to John George another 240 acres, being part of a tract of land of 17,296 acres and called Piedmont. And on May 1, Nicholas called for the yearly rent of five pounds, six shillings ($13.25).

      Precious metals were thought to be in the area (Loudoun' s only gold strike came about 1800 two miles north of the mill), and as with previous Fairfax leases, the lessee reserved right to all mines, Minerals and quarries whatsoever, and the use of them, and the privilege of hunting and fowling in or upon and part there of.

      John George consolidated his holdings on November 1, 1797, buying the 240 acres from George William Faifax's son, Ferdinando, and his wife, Elizabeth Blair. The selling price was 690 English Pounds ($1725.00).

      John George died in 1808, his will giving his wife, Elizabeth, one-third of his estate, plus two sheep, and a cow named Joyce. The will specified that a horse kind must be found her at any time she stands in need of one. John George, Jr. inherited the mill, and was to pay his mother 600 pounds ($1500.00), and find her a House and Gartian and find her fire wood and sow one-quarter of an acre of flax or hemp ground yearly and every year give her fifteen bushels of wheat and five bushels of Indian corn and two hundred weight of pork yearly. Sometime afterward, the mill either burned, or collapsed from flood. It's not shown on Yardleys Taylor's 1853 map of the county, and it's not mentioned in John, Jr.'s 1856 will.